The Phoenix Project - Stolen, Recovered, and Rebuilding

Every XJ is a project whether big or small. Tell us about yours.
fateddy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Region or State: North Colorado
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1996 XJ600N, 1991 Suzuki DR350
United States of America

Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:12 pm

Some of you know the story of my bike theft last spring. Here's the original thread: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=883

In short, my bike was stolen, I moved from Arkansas to Colorado, the bike was recovered over the summer, and the impound/wrecker yard shafted me for a bunch of money. Since then, I've moved to a house with a shop in which I can wrench. Over Christmas, I went back to Arkansas and brought the bike home and have started working on it. I'll detail my progress in this thread.

I'll also be asking for help from those of you that have worked through a lot of the problems that I'm about to be dealing with.

For a reminder, here's the way things used to be:

After it was recovered, it looked like this:

Now, I've got it in the shop, partially torn down, and started damage assessment. It's not impossible, but these guys did some really irritating things. A lot of stuff was taken off the bike to paint it. Apparently, somewhere in the process of removing stuff, they lost ALL THE HARDWARE. Seriously, my plastics were reattached with wire and sheet metal screws. The positive terminal on the battery was held in to the lead with a lagged wood screw. This whole project looks like it was inspired entirely by meth.

I was pretty sure it had been dropped, either at low speed or tipped over in a garage or truck or something. Cracked fairing left side, bent clutch lever, and a bunch of oil in the airbox confirmed this.

The carbs actually look pretty clean inside. I don't think there were a lot of miles put on it.
I'll be tearing these down, cleaning, and replacing jets and needles and gaskets and such as one of my first projects. This may be a good time to do a rejet if it hasn't been done already.

They painted everything except the tires and seat.
They painted the black engine with more black. They painted the chainguard. They painted the effing exhaust. They painted the instrument cluster.

The ignition switch was all stripped and the wires had been cut and bypassed. You can see one end in my hand and the other hanging above and behind the horn.

The plugs were a little oily, but really not that bad.

The auxiliary electricals are a nightmare.
Turn signals are gone, wires are cut and stripped all over, and all the loose ends were balled up, spraypainted, ziptied, wrapped in electrical AND duck tape, and shoved behind the fork. At least they didn't mess with the main harness as far as I can tell.

Why the hell would you disable all your lights on a stolen vehicle? Leave them alone for the love of God.

So here's my first hangup so far. How do I get the ignition switch off the triple clamp? The manual shows two screws holding the switch on from the bottom. As you can see in the picture below, there are these two recessed domed bolts with no way to unscrew them. I don't think they're just covers, because I scratched at them with needle nosed pliers, a knife, anything I could think of to pry them off. I don't want to resort to a left-handed drill bit just yet in case somebody knows the trick.

Don't do meth, folks. I'm reminded of a talk I heard from a guy from the state crime lab. He said that all meth dens have three things in common. One of them is piles and piles of stolen electronics and stuff that's been taken apart and never put back together or reassembled poorly, because frickin tweakers get started on them and then forget how they got things apart.

More updates to come. For anybody that lives in the Denver to Fort Collins area, you're welcome to get your hands dirty on this project whenever you want.
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.

Detonation
Hungry Like the Wolf!
Hungry Like the Wolf!
Region or State: United Kingdom
Motorcycles Owned Currently: The Rust Bucket

Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:00 pm

Those ignition switch nuts are designed to only be able to be undone by only the biggest dealers with special equipment I was told by a Honda dealer (hew didn't even have the tools) when I lost the key off my CBR
Just replace the whole yoke and barrel with a second hand one.
1992 Yamaha XJ 600 Neikiddo

Build Thread

"Nitrous is like a cheap hooker, you want to hit it but are scared of the consequences"

radare
Site Founder
Site Founder
Region or State: Rocky Mountains
Motorcycles Owned Currently: '92 XJR600, '92 Seca II
United States of America

Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:28 pm

Man, it's good to see you doing this. I have oodles of parts if you need 'em. Tail (red), tank (red), front fender (copper), etc.

And for removing the spray paint . . .

http://www.wikihow.com/Get-Spray-Paint-off-a-Car

radare
Site Founder
Site Founder
Region or State: Rocky Mountains
Motorcycles Owned Currently: '92 XJR600, '92 Seca II
United States of America

Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:39 pm

I've seen the ignition switches removed two ways: The first is to drill the heads off of them using a 1/4" and then 3/8" drill bit. The second is to take a hack saw blad and cut through the ignition bracket and into the head of the screw and then use a screwdriver to back them out (cut where the green lines are):

Waffle99
XJ Enthusiast
XJ Enthusiast
Region or State: Georgia
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 98 Seca II

Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:44 pm

I don't think I would have the nerve to do what you are doing. Every time I looked at the bike I would become furious. Have fun making it look better than when you first had it.

Trialsstar34
XJOTM June 2013
XJOTM June 2013
Region or State: Kansas, USA
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 97 Seca II / 95 Seca II / 2013 GasGas 300 Race

Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:48 pm

Sucks to see such a nice looking bike turn into something so neglected and trashed. best of luck fixer her back up!
Check Out my Build Thread viewtopic.php?f=12&t=3001
Drapheus wrote:Yea that cam chain goes slappity slap slap rattle rattle slap rattle slap slappity
Or something like that
Noises with Drapheus, yyayyy

MOzarkRider
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
Region or State: Tucked in the Corner
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 92 Yamaha SecaII // 14KTM 200XCW

Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:28 am

I also have a bunch of parts if you need them. I have all the lights in great condition, other than the signals need bulbs.
"A life you don't live is still lost" Goo Goo Dolls
"Its not about the years of your life its about the life in your years" Abraham Lincon
92' Yamaha Seca II
14' KTM 200XC-W
Brian

mikee112
User Administrator
User Administrator
Region or State: UK
Motorcycles Owned Currently: '99 Yamaha XJ 600n
Great Britain

Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:55 am

Makes me wanna cry, seeing what those A**holes did to your bike :cry: , good luck with the rebuild Eddy :)

arnehulstein
Yearns for The Scrambler
Region or State: Goes, Netherlands
Motorcycles Owned Currently: BMW R 1150 GS

Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:15 am

Man... That is tough... Wish people would just leave the stuff of others alone...

fateddy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Region or State: North Colorado
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1996 XJ600N, 1991 Suzuki DR350
United States of America

Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:27 pm

Thanks for the advice, radare. I'll probably be going with the hacksaw method to start. If I don't absolutely have to buy a new yoke, I'd rather not. MOzark, you still got that starter?

I got a little bit more teardown done this weekend.

Got the undertail off first. I need to find out what all these electrical junctions are. I know there's a regulator, rectifier, fusebox, and some other stuff, but I've never had to deal with all of them on this bike before. They don't look bad on the surface.

Somebody heavy must have been riding, and hitting speed bumps or something. I never had this happen.

Here's some detail on a PO's blinker/taillight integration job. I never bothered to look at it, because it worked.
It won't be too hard to clean up their work a little bit and route the wires better and make it all fit. I think I'll keep them. I do need a new taillight lens, though.

Here's one reason I didn't really accomplish much. My new shop buddy, Ponca. We adopted her this weekend.

I'm getting past the point of being angry every time I look at this. The picture of how this will all get done is getting a bit clearer in my head, and it may not really be that terrible. I'll probably repaint the frame, though, and the complete disassembly and all that will be a bit involved.

Stay tuned, and thanks for the help as always.
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.

Navigation:

Search

Unread Posts

The Wall

Gallery

About Us

Call to Action:

Forum Images

Ride Relay

Cool Projects:

Predrag's Resto

Renegade's 93