$30 Temporary Gas Tank Project

Custom XJ builds, restorations, major modifications or just a topic dedicted to your own bike. Look here for long term cool projects.
alexrw
New to XJR
New to XJR

Hello There! So I've been trying to fix up this Seca for a little while now and I'm at the point that I may be able to take it around the block a few times(thanks to all you wonderful people! ;) ). I've been working on a budget and so most problems take some time and thought to work out. I spent the $60 on a battery so it doesn't have to stay hooked up to the the charger. Now I need to deal with the rusty gas tank.
For the past month or two I have had a fuel line from the pump going into a 5 gallon gas container. But since I bought a battery, I need something to hold gas on the bike.
When I pulled the tank for the first time I could hear the chunks of rust shaking around in there. And when I talked about fixing the inside to my boss, he told me that it wouldn't work because the rust was too bad. I didn't believe him and so here I am a few months later. He was completely right! There must have been about 100 pin holes in the bottom of the tank. I had been using a small garlic container for gas.Image But decided that having to re-fuel every 10 minutes isn't very much fun, and with funds being limited I decided to make due with an air grinder, a fire extinguisher, and $30. This is what happened today:

I cut out a section of the tank.

Bought some supply's at Lowes- about $30

Using an empty 1 gallon paint bucket. $5

the holes in the cut out section

larger holes in the remainder of the tank

I plan on drilling some holes trying to make this work! This will hopefully be done over the next day or two and I will update accordingly. Also if anyone has a decent gas tank let me know!!! Thank you for viewing!

This topic has 3 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login