First bike project

Custom XJ builds, restorations, major modifications or just a topic dedicted to your own bike. Look here for long term cool projects.
Steve
One of the Regulars
One of the Regulars

Okay, so this isn't going to be as good as others i've seen on this forum, it's more like a clean up than anything. I mean, i'd love to get an fzr front end and the likes but as a 17 year old student with no job, i don't think i'm gonna be able to afford it. I'm relying solely on money i've managed to save over the last year from birthday/christmas presents etc.

I'm already a bit into the project as i didn't find this site until i looked online for some colour scheme ideas so there's quite a gap xD

When i first got the bike it looked like this:

I cleaned it up a bit and gave it a polish:

Then removed the luggage rack, and replaced the indicators with some smaller ones:

Then i decided i wanted to repaint it... So i began stripping it down bit by bit and this is what i've got now:

The engine will be coming out as soon as i find somewhere in the house i can put it, and then the wheels, forks and swing arm will be off. Then it's off to the powder coaters to get some painting done.

When the bike was apart, i noticed the chain was extremely loose:

So i ordered a replacement chain and both sprockets:

My suspension is looking pretty worn and when you sit on it it kind of sounds like a bike pum as in you can hear air going in and out. Is this normal? or should i look at getting a new one?:

Dad bought me some new mirrors, but they're the wrong size(1mm too big) unfortunately, he bought it a while back so can't return it so borrowing a tap and dye set off a friend to make the hole bigger:

In comparison to stock one:

Also got my new headlight unit:

Cabletied it to the bike to see how it will look, it's pointing a bit high in the pictures though. I've turned the stock handlebars around and put them upside down for this as i've ordered some clip ons but they're not here yet so this was the closest i could get. Pretty happy with it actually:

However, i'm not sure about wiring as in, i don't know which one is live, which is ground etc. and as far as i can tell, it doesn't have full beam (please correct me if i'm wrong) so i feel i may have been a tad stupid buying this...:

Started cleaning up my exhaust with good ol' wire brush and sand paper. Got quite a bit to go with finer grade sand paper to remove the scratches (had to use 450 grit to clean as nothing finer would remove the much):

When i was cleaning it, i found some corosion on the pipes, this is the best picture i could get it's sort of like deep cracks over the metal. It doesn't go all the way through, should i be worried about this?

I'm afraid this is going to be a bit of a slow project thread as i'm a student so don't really get much time to work on it, plus i'm limited by money, but i'll do my best to post a picture or two every time something changes :)

Steve

This topic has 252 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login