Making the XJ Mine

Custom XJ builds, restorations, major modifications or just a topic dedicted to your own bike. Look here for long term cool projects.
wzc0014
XJ Enthusiast
XJ Enthusiast

Figured I would start a project thread. I have already done some stuff to my bike so some of the early stuff it will be old, but figured I'd start it from the begining. I had never owned or ridden a motorcycle when I bought mine about three months ago and it has one of the greatest learning experiences and starts to a new hobby I've ever had (maybe aside from starting homebrewing).
I actually joined the forum before I even owned an XJ so I could get an idea of what it was going to be like to own, ride, and work on one. It was even a member actually who suggested which one I should go with.
I spent the first few weeks of owning it learning how to ride and on this forum reading, and then reading some more to learn about how to maintain the bike and any modifications and upgrades I should make. And, I got to look at all the pictures, see what I would be enjoying, and how I would want to make my XJ my own. I've read through a ton of the project threads (and most of the others on here) and I really enjoy this site. I come here multiple times a day to read and post, I'm very thankful for the wealth of knowledge on here. Thanks everyone!

Here is the bike when I first picked it up, 1992 XJ600

Here it is once I got it home. Everything is completely stock.

Things I want(ed) to do (short term):
Change the oil
Change the plugs
Replace the tires (they were the originals)
Install #20 pilot jets
Tune the carbs
Sync the carbs
Replace front brake pad
Change the oil
Clean everything![/list]

Long term (my own ideas and some I've picked up here):
Recover the seat
Change the color scheme (add some black to the frame)
Change to a tinted windscreen
And I'd really like to change out some of the headlight/farinings, not sure about totally going naked, but somehow maybe replace the current headlight and gauges but keep some of the fairing up there
Paint the rims
Fix the tiny crack you can only see when up close that I put in my brake light but still bothers me to know it's there
Last edited by wzc0014 on Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

This topic has 165 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login