Susho's 97 Seca II project pics

Custom XJ builds, restorations, major modifications or just a topic dedicted to your own bike. Look here for long term cool projects.
susho
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around

Hi all,
For anyone interested, here are the ugly pics of the worst looking pile of XJ anyone has ever seen. We intend to make it better.
The 97 Seca came in with a PO's rattlecan paint scheme which was a variety of flat black and purple paints sprayed right over the bike as it sat. Painted over the harness, carbs, windshield, everything! Needless to say it was peeling off and hiding a lot of underlying damage.
I began by picking up a used ECU off e-bay and got the engine running to validate the effort of diving into this bike. I have now stripped the bike clean and prepped the frame, and am working on the other various parts making them ready for paint. Meanwhile the carbs are apart and bagged according to each unit awaiting cleaning. Forks and brakes still need dis-assembly. I replaced the broken original left control pod with a zx636 unit which has the correct choke lever for the year. The tank is pitted through at the bottom from rust. I epoxied it which seems to be holding but for how long?... The fairing and side plastics are beat to pulp but I am using Radare's technique to rebuild them. So far it works as advertised. Thanks Radare.
I discovered the swing arm is cracked where it was crushed at some point and is no longer usable so I found a cheap good one on e-bay. Also the original headset ball bearings are notchety and will be replaced by a set of tapers.
New tires are on the way and paint is going to be a midnight like Blue on Black thing. The blue will be a Wanda brand automotive BCCC product. They have a very wide color chart to choose from and the pearls are premixed for a consistently good result. The frame and engine blacks will be most likely rattle can.
Pics are posted here:
http://www.xjrider.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10151
Last edited by susho on Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:17 am, edited 2 times in total.

This topic has 15 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login