Poll and advice on project bike

Custom XJ builds, restorations, major modifications or just a topic dedicted to your own bike. Look here for long term cool projects.
RTP4
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around

So I'd like to start a quick poll on whether or not I should take on this project (although I have a feeling that the poll will be pretty one sided). And to get an idea on cost and how much work is involved.

I came across this bike yesterday for $600.

The guy is selling it as a parts bike due to the following:
"i had a guy look at it. he was a retired mechanic. he said that due to no compression it needed a new engine. 2 cylinders were blowing barely and 2 werent at all." He also said that there's a small gas leak and the carbs need rebuilt.

The bike is a '93 and he clames that there are no other problems with it.

Also, a couple months ago I happened to pick up an engine off a 92 from craigslist for $50 right after I got my Seca. It was too good of a deal to pass up and I figured if anything I could use it for parts as needed. Supposedly it ran when he was attempting to use it in a quad. Turns out the guy's on the forum

http://xjrider.com/viewtopic.php?t=50

In the past year it has gathered a little rust but what I'm thinking right now is
1. Buy the bike
2. Clean up and do a swap with the older engine
or
2. use the older engine as parts to fix the one that's currently on the bike

3. Beautify and possibly turn into a streetfighter

It sounds like an easy decision but the problem is I don't currently have very much mechanic experience. And I'm unsure on the condition of the old engine since it's been sitting for a while.

The couple of plus sides are that I do have a running Seca II to use as a go-by and it's about to be winter here in Cleveland so it could turn into a good winter project.

Any wisdom or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

This topic has 10 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login