1990 pre-Seca XJ600

Every XJ is a project whether big or small. Tell us about yours.
arnehulstein
Yearns for The Scrambler
Region or State: Goes, Netherlands
Motorcycles Owned Currently: BMW R 1150 GS

Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:46 am

Well, I thought I might as well open a project thread about the bike. ;-)

A quick re-run of the introduction of my bike:

By pure chance I have become the owner of a 1990 XJ600 which has been parked up since May of this year due to some holes in the exhaust. The bike has been built in May 1989 as a 1987 model 51J that has been registered for the first time in January 1990. I am currently working on getting myself my motorcycle license here in the Netherlands, which I hope to have at the end of October.

Some pics of the bike:

Yesterday afternoon we pulled off the exhausts. They are bad. No surprise there. Now we need to look at how we are going to be restoring them enough to be usable again.

I am going to go over the exhaust with a friend who is a welder tonight. We'll see. Last week I bought the Haynes and it has already been helpful in removing the exhaust. The good part of this bike is that the previous owner has had it serviced extensively right before he parked it. The biggest thing I want to do before I start riding it is to replace the front fork oil. Right now it dives very enthusiastically, so I think it can do with a slightly more resistive oil.

Other than that, we looked at the brakes and the chain and they are all very nice. No problems there. The engine runs sweet without glitches and the carbs have just been cleaned and have new parts in them. I think that, after we do the exhaust and the fork, it will be time to rack up some miles to see how it holds up.

1Oldman
XJ600 Master!
XJ600 Master!
Region or State: West Coast
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1993 Yamaha Seca II

Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:22 am

Better to be over the hill than under it.

MOzarkRider
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
Region or State: Tucked in the Corner
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 92 Yamaha SecaII // 14KTM 200XCW

Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:17 am

Interesting Bike! Im subscribed
"A life you don't live is still lost" Goo Goo Dolls
"Its not about the years of your life its about the life in your years" Abraham Lincon
92' Yamaha Seca II
14' KTM 200XC-W
Brian

xjman
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
Region or State: Thame nr Oxford UK
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1990 XJ600F

Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:52 am

As the people on this site already know I have one of those too, same year as yours - in the States these were known as FJ 600's

I've got one of these on mine

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yamaha-XJ600- ... 3a7aa1c3ad
Bender: I support and oppose many things, but not strongly enough to pick up a pen.

arnehulstein
Yearns for The Scrambler

Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:02 am

1Oldman wrote:Found this for a radian, is it compatible with your exhaust?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1986-1987-1988- ... 3c&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1986-1987-1988- ... 3a&vxp=mtr
Thanks for looking for it. However, it is not the same. In this XJ600 series it does not have plating around it, so it consists of a number of pipes. I have not taken a picture of when it was together, maybe I can do that over the weekend. But I have not found an exhaust on ebay yet...

Then again, I would love to build something like this: http://www.ebay.de/itm/MARVING-RACE-4-1 ... 975wt_1156

arnehulstein
Yearns for The Scrambler

Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:15 am

Bender wrote:As the people on this site already know I have one of those too, same year as yours - in the States these were known as FJ 600's

I've got one of these on mine

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yamaha-XJ600- ... 3a7aa1c3ad
Nice bike! Like your front discs as well. A bit more playful than the originals here. And I dropped the seller of that exhaust a line. Is the end damper bigger than the original? Would you be able to measure up your exhaust for me?

xjman
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:27 am

does this help?

:) :)
Bender: I support and oppose many things, but not strongly enough to pick up a pen.

arnehulstein
Yearns for The Scrambler

Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:39 am

Bender wrote:does this help?
:) :)
It helps getting an idea of what it looks like when it is on the bike. I am surprised to see that the damper doesn't really look any bigger than the original. If nothing else, it looks smaller. I would really love to know what the diameter is of the pipe behind the 4 into 1 bit. It will not be so hard to build a collector for four into one, I just need to know what the diameter of the pipe behind it is, as I don't want to restrict the exhaust. And I might just be able to use one of the old dampers as the main damper on the system.

Does your system only use the mounting point at the back under your right foot, or does it have other points where it attaches to the frame?

-Really getting into the idea of building a 4 into 1 now...-

xjman
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:50 am

I'll take some pictures tomorrow matey, dark here now - I'm probably going to have to replace my exhaust system sooner rather than later as it's getting a bit throaty and something seems to have come adrift inside, rattles sometimes then gets lodged again. I'd look for a Delkevic system like I've got on my XJ600 1999 but not sure that they do a pre -diversion one.

I like these old bikes, less torque than the Seca 2 I think but sits on the road nicely, corners well and pulls fine :)

found this on the web, no idea who the owner is

Nendo-Ton
Warning, Zombies Ahead!
Warning, Zombies Ahead!
Region or State: Texas, USA
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 94' Yamaha XJ600 SFC & 97' Yamaha XJ600

Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:12 pm

That is an Awesome Paint Job! :grins:
Nendo-Ton / Clayton
Image Image Image

Navigation:

Search

Unread Posts