Seca Prep for Alaska

Custom XJ builds, restorations, major modifications or just a topic dedicted to your own bike. Look here for long term cool projects.
yooper
One of the Regulars
One of the Regulars

First of all Radare, could you move this thread to the projects site.

I have decided to Build my Seca into a Long Distance touring bike. Next year I plan to do an Iron Butt Association Saddlesore 1K with the bike and I have actually convince my wife to let me take it to Alaska in 2014(so long as I fly her up for a week). So this winter I will doing many improvement to it such as...

Improving fuel range...(it possible to run out of gas up here due to gas stations being closed in the middle of the night.(I like night riding)

Welding gussets on the frame in the tail section for carring heavy loads(besides the rider)

Losing weight (oh wait thats my improvement for the trip) :yikes:

Improving the seat and peg positions.

LED lighting to save amps for the ports for heated gear and electronics

Sirius Radio (enough of the ipod)

SPOT tracker (the ONLY way my wife will be at ease plus I can use it for verification of the ride with the iron butt people)

GoPro H2 camera system

Larger windshield

AND a Complete Inspection of the bike

I want to end up with a Seca on steriods not a Seca frankenstein so all things will be removable. So to begin I will start with the fuel range...This is the Idea, tanks inside, soft bags outside. The 1.5 gallon Fuel packs are three inches thick, so it will add six inches to the width of the bike...
"It is better to travel hopefully than to arrive" Robert L. Stevenson

This topic has 23 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login