NelsonMD's 92 XJ600 Project Thread

Custom XJ builds, restorations, major modifications or just a topic dedicted to your own bike. Look here for long term cool projects.
Nelsonmd
FAQ Moderator
FAQ Moderator

Updating my thread with more links and info:

Current Setup:

Pirelli Sport Demon Tires (120 front, 140 rear, great tires, I love them)
8" round headlight with black plastic can (HLYRD250 HEADLIGHT YAMAHA RD250LC / RD350LC P43T H4 12V60/55W from flyncycle, $50, discontinued)
Custom built headlight brackets and clamps.
2003 R1 front end (forks, triple tree's with FZR stem), R1 wheel and wheel fender
Bikemaster Superbike Handlebar - Black
Ebay aluminum handlebar risers
Acewell 2803 Gauge set
Oury handlebar grips
R6 controls, turn signal and starter control.
Clutch lever from the2wheels.com
Custom brake lines from gtautosports on ebay - Black
03-04 GSXR1000 steering damper with custom built bracket mount
Protek 54mm tube clamp for the steering damper
Doubletake Adventure mirrors - Most stable and indestructable mirrors I have used...
TechSpec Gripster tank pads (Custom cut)
Stock Center Stand (I paid about $80, totally worth it)
Jama/Renntec Engine Guards
2001 R6 rear Undertail/Tail light with integrated turn signals (Inspired by Bandido78 from the old forum)
Nelson Rigg SPRT-50 saddle bags
'09 Kawasaki EX650 Master Cylinder with adjustable brake lever
Updated wiring for the front end
Sigma speed sensor and Koso magnetic rotor bolt

Things I tried, but have replaced (either didn't like, broke, or loved but had to replace):
OEM engine guards
Cheap Koso knock-off mirrors
Clubman style bar end mirrors I actually liked some of these, see link
Bikemaster Candy drop mirrors with integrated turn signals
Bikemaster Mirror set w/ integrated turn signals - Poor quality electronics
Jama engine guards - Better than Renntec, but sold to Renntec years ago
Pro Grip 719 handlebar grips
Cheap Chrome Headlight bracket
Fly Racing Headlight Brackets

Some Tools I've used along the way:
EBC clutch basket holder
Impact driver
Custom valve compressor tool
Flex-hone 60mm, 240 grit
Vessel JIS Screwdrivers

History:
I bought the bike from a friend of mine for $1k. It didn't run well, had trouble starting, died alot on take-off, etc... I removed all the fairings and got it running well. I commuted to work on it for several years (40mi. commute) before deciding I wanted something bigger and more reliable. I ended up with an '02 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 which I loved and took off-road. The XJ became my project bike rather then my daily driver, and I did an FZR front end, refined the naked mods, and completely disassembled the engine and blasted the pistons clean. I then modded the front end from an R1, and spent a couple years trying to correct the change in geometry this resulted in. I finally got the major challenges figured out when life took me overseas for a year with my wife. I stored the XJ in a friend's shed in Boston for the year we were overseas, then when I got back had it shipped to my parents' house in Denver. Finally another 2 years later, I was able to trailer her to our new home in New Mexico. My plans now are to get her back up and running, make final refinements to the R1 front end, make some mods that I liked on my old V-Strom, and then just ride her as much as my wife will let me.
Last edited by Nelsonmd on Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:08 pm, edited 41 times in total.
NelsonMD's 92 XJ600 Project Thread

NelsonMD's 4Runner Build Thread (Rusted out)
2002 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 (gone)
2004 Vespa ET4 (sold)

This topic has 226 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login