Radare's Seca II: From A to B

Every XJ is a project whether big or small. Tell us about yours.
Casper
Almost as Awesome as Murdock
Region or State: Motor City (MI)
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1994 XJ600, 2006 SV650

Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:45 pm

Both of those days work for me. Chama is a fun little town with a fancy train that runs daily in the summer.
Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing.

radare
Site Founder
Site Founder
Region or State: Rocky Mountains
Motorcycles Owned Currently: '92 XJR600, '92 Seca II
United States of America

Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:00 am

If you're good with Friday, let's plan on it. I'll firm up plans when we're a bit closer and I can check the forecast.

Casper

Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:40 am

Late lunch Friday in Alamosa? 1 PM, 2 PM on the safe side of time?

I will head that way early AM and should get to Alamosa around lunch time (230 miles ~ 5 hours)?

https://goo.gl/maps/qtZj8

Head home the fast way to beat sundown. (200 miles ~ 4 hours)

https://goo.gl/maps/qu9V5
Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing.

radare
Site Founder
Site Founder
United States of America

Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:37 am

It has been way too long since I've had an update on this bike. More than a year, and, I think its been about that long since I've ridden it.

Yesterday, I pulled it out of the garage and washed about 1/16" layer of dust off of it. It started right up; battery wasn't even low. I then rode it out to Boulder and back to Denver this morning.

I have had a set of tires and the parts for a fork overhaul in my bin for this bike for ages and I hope to put them to use soon. But more on that later.

I have been riding the Scrambler almost exclusively for the last year and after getting used to that bike, here are some observations on this one:

1. It's light. It feels MUCH lighter than the scrambler, both in moving it around in the garage and also in riding. I think the scrambler's higher height coupled with its tractor-like tires make it feel slow and heavy.

2. It's fast. It will surely out accelerate the scrambler and likely by a good margin. I suspect that is due to the lighter wheels/tires and lower center-of-gravity

3. It stops (on a dime). The dual front gold-dot calipers couple with the Nissin master work very well at stopping the bike. And the Bandit rear brakes are superior in feel to the stock ones. If you want better brakes on your Seca II, do as I had done!

4. It's fun. All of these items come together to make this bike fun to ride. It's quick, agile, stops well and handles great.

It's time for me to put some energy into this bike and keep moving it forward. Maybe even find the time for that multi-day trip.

Casper

Sat Jun 11, 2016 4:34 pm

Such a pretty XJ.

radare
Site Founder
Site Founder
United States of America

Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:20 pm

It's been WAY too long since I've worked on the 'signature' XJ. It's been holed-up in my garage in Denver and I haven't ridden it this year. I'll bet I haven't been on it in 12 months.

The carbs are sticky and need to be cleaned. The tires need to be replaced (the front one is at the end of its life). It needs an oil and filter change. Pretty much, its down on maintenance.

Now that I have that fancy 4-car workshop, I plan to take it on and do it justice. The winter project for this bike shall include:
  • Getting it up to snuff on maintenance
    Installing a new set of tires
    Rebuilding the YZF forks and installing the softer SV650 springs (that Casper gave me).
    Fitting a new Radian speedometer (though I may swap them out for a set of KZ1000 gauges)
    Fitting the FZ9 tail light I bought last year and modifying the rear of the tail plastics to accommodate it
    Polishing the stainless headers
I'm also considering a complete disassembly similar to what I did to the stock '92 I had a few years back. If I go that route, I'd like to sand down the frame and have it painted a textured matte black. We shall see on the frame, though. A fresh coat of red might be good too. And if I go that route, I'll be welding mounts on for the infills so they appear stock.

predrag80
XJ Enthusiast
XJ Enthusiast
Region or State: Romania
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1998 Yamaha XJ600S

Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:42 pm

This will be a good topic to follow. Waiting for it.

Trimis de pe al meu SM-G930F folosind Tapatalk

Wicked42
New to XJR
New to XJR
Region or State: Grinnell, Iowa
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1992 Yamaha xj600

Sun Nov 13, 2016 6:55 pm

:thumbsup: I just want to ask where u got ur front fairing.. I've been looking for one I like and the thing looks amazing!! Any incite would be much appreciated. Also this has to be the most beautiful xj I've ever seen!
Wicked-rider*

radare
Site Founder
Site Founder
United States of America

Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:08 pm

Wicked42 wrote::thumbsup: I just want to ask where you got your front fairing.. I've been looking for one I like and the thing looks amazing!! Any insight would be much appreciated. Also this has to be the most beautiful xj I've ever seen!
It's off of an X1, cut down and shaped to fit the 8" headlamp and around the gauges. You ought to read through the entire build. The fairing is discussed around page 28.

http://xjrider.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t ... 200#p18572

radare
Site Founder
Site Founder
United States of America

Mon May 22, 2017 9:00 pm

I am really sad to say that I let this bike get in this state. It's sat here, almost mothballed but not quite, waiting for me to return, slowly fading to the sands of time. It has been here long enough that the tags are expired, two years. Poor bike has almost become a barn-find.

The poor thing still starts but it wont rev. A sure sign of stuck slides. So tonight, I decided to do something about it. I began by draining the fuel out and capturing it for use in the lawn mower. It's stale and has taken on a golden hue. It has that stale fuel stink.

I removed the tank, removed the airbox, and took a look at the carbs. Everything is still clean (no mice) but the slides are stuck as if they are glued in place. Time to remove these carbs and send them off to radare for his carb cleaning service. Oh, wait . . . :ponder:

These carbs really do need a thorough cleaning. They will ride back with me to Boulder and spend an evening in the ultrasonic. More to come, I suppose.

Navigation:

Search

Unread Posts

The Wall

Gallery

About Us

Call to Action:

Forum Images

Ride Relay

Cool Projects:

Predrag's Resto

Renegade's 93