XJ650 YICS Swap worth it?

The basic forum. Want to show off your XJ or ask questions about it? Maybe you're not sure where to post? Put it here.
Gershwizzle
New to XJR
New to XJR

Hey guys,

So I recently just bought two bikes, an 81 and 82 XJ650 Maxim, both in disarray. The 81 has a title and 10,000 miles on it and the 82 has 20,000 miles and no title, so I'm taking the good bits off of the 82 and putting them onto the 81 to make the titled bike nice and I'll eventually sell off the 82.

Both motors have good compression and valves in proper spec, my question to you guys is this: is it worth it to take the motor from the 82, which has the YICS ports in the head, but overall has more mileage on it, and swap it into the 81 frame, or just clean up the motor on the 81 (non-YICS) and leave it be?

I've read a fair amount about this and can't seem to find a general consensus if the YICS actually increases MPG's or not. I'm going to be taking this bike on a cross-country trip, so if it gets me 5 more mpg, it'll save me some money if I'm riding over 4000 miles in a month.

Of course, pictures of the bikes included. I'll probably make a build thread pretty soon here as well

This topic has 3 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login