Fuel Problem?

The basic forum. Want to show off your XJ or ask questions about it? Maybe you're not sure where to post? Put it here.
JC0909
New to XJR
New to XJR

So I took my '93 seca ii out for a ride one day, and as i was in the middle of the ride, the RPM's began to slowly decrease and decrease until eventually the entire bike died completely, engine, power, everything.
(For some background, the bike was already having problems holding charge, or whatever so I would have to pop start it in order to get it running).

In addition, prior to this, which I'm not sure if it is related or not, the bike felt like it was having problems accelerating at higher speeds and lacked power. Fresh oil was replaced, and fuel system cleaner was also added, hoping it was just old and gunked.

After bringing the bike back to the garage, i was able to get it to start up again, BUT runs incredibly rough in low idle with what sounds like a knocking sound and then maybe dies. When i increase the idle speed, it sounds a lot smoother as if nothing is wrong. Why does it do this???

I gave the carbs a check, and they weren't perfect but were pretty darn clean. I replaced the fuel filter thinking maybe there as a clog but that did nothing. All spark plugs work perfectly fine.

Is this a problem with the fuel pump? a problem with the air-fuel mixture? or something completely different?

please help!

This topic has 21 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login